St James' Church, Stalmine
St. James' Church - originally called St. Oswald's - has been a place of healing and prayer for over 770 years - the first records of a place of worship date from around 1240 AD. A small hospital had been built at Lancaster for the care of lepers and this grew into Cockersands Abbey. The monks had little chapels built at Pilling, Hambleton, and Stalmine - where there was also a small hospice for the care of the sick.
In 1539, at the dissolution of the monasteries, Stalmine's chapel must have remained fairly intact as our registers are complete from 1583. Then in 1623 came the plague and Stalmine suffered badly. There were many deaths.
In 1710 the "church" was enlarged and in 1806, it was completely rebuilt and renamed
"St. James' ". In 1880 the chancel, sanctuary, vestry and organ chamber were added. Preesall and Knott End separated from Stalmine and came under the care of the church at Preesall, which took on the name of St. Oswald.
St. James' was refurbished in 1991, and in 2000 became a united benefice with the parish of St. John the Baptist at Pilling with St. Mark at Eagland Hill.
In 2006, we had the joy of building a two-storey extension to the church, to enlarge the facilities. It was officially opened by the Bishop of Lancaster on 22nd July, 2007. Please come and enjoy it with us. You are very welcome.
A more detailed history of St. James' Church and the locality is available in leaflet form. Copies are available in church.